Using a Fire Extinguisher
Learning how to use your fire extinguisher
First, familiarize yourself with the fire extinguisher directions so you’ll be prepared in case you need to put out a fire. Typically, fire extinguishers are fairly easy to use in the case of a fire. Most of the types operate using the P.A.S.S. technique:
- Pull the pin on the fire extinguisher in order to break the tamper seal.
- Aim the fire extinguisher low, with the nozzle pointed at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle of the fire extinguisher to release the extinguishing agent.
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side while pointed at the base of the fire until it is extinguished.
- If the fire re-ignites, repeat the last 3 steps.